Friday, November 7, 2008

Michael Sommers Looking for Subjects to Interview

Tuesday night was really remarkable for all of us, whether we voted for Barack Obama or not. For the first time in a long time I was personally touched and moved by my country. Big things seemed possible again. All the same – and as Proposition 8 tells us – we have a long, long way to go. That’s why I decided not to wait any further in creating a project I’ve been thinking about for awhile. In the coming year I will write and act in a stage production that will honor and celebrate the history of the gay community by sharing the stories of my older gay brothers. As an admirer of our older population, as a lover of history, and as a gay man, I feel it’s time to honor the people who have come before us. Like many social movements in our country, there are hundreds of unsung heroes whose stories are compelling, funny and ultimately inspiring. I’d like to tell those stories. Here is my request – if you know anyone who would be an interesting subject to interview, or know of an organization that could lead me to such a person, please let me know. I’m simply looking for a diverse group of gay men with varying experiences in the community. It will be an historical overview, so I’d like to speak with the following: *Someone who attempted to live as an out gay man in the 1950s and/or 1960s.*Someone who witnessed or participated in the Stonewall Riots.*Someone who experienced the wild nightclub scene in the 1970s.*Someone who knew or worked with Harvey Milk in San Francisco.*Someone directly affected by the loss of loved ones from AIDS in the 1980s and 1990s. That said, any and all stories are welcomed. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you so much! All the best – Michael917-612-9591

No comments: